Wednesday 4 February 2009

Style notes: A (Junior) Corner Of One's Own


With a little one just starting school I felt she was ready for a slightly larger work and play space. I had found this amazing old wooden children's desk at a trash and treasure market and took it home - although at the time I had no idea where to put it or use it for. It was just so lovely. It has a pull down top and lots of little words scribbled into the old wood from previous owners.

Anyway, I thought I would find a nice little sunny corner for it and set it up and she absolutely loves it. She has stacked all her paper and pencils and other bits and pieces in it and it has become an active hub of home. The little plastic figures on top are other market finds.

Speaking of school, what an amazing yet strange transition it is - for child and parent alike. With the younger starting kinder, I have returned home to feel quite conflicted about the domestic silence. While it offers a brief few hours of freedom to GET THINGS DONE, I've realized it also signals the end of those long open days where we could just do what we felt like that day - be it a bit of pasting or a walk, with no rules or structures. How quickly that time passes......

3 comments:

Melissa Ellen, Honeybee Toys said...

Just bought my girls timber desks, but not as nice as this one - how lovely!

familyvalue said...

Love this timber desk. Very cute. I agree.......... how time flies. The children grow up far too quickly. I have learnt to savour the moment with my babies and I am endeavouring to enjoy every stage of their life.

Kate Martin said...

Love it Kylie, will have to pick your brain to find Lucy a lovely study spot! The eclectic pieces are gorgeous - love your style!