Tuesday 1 July 2008


I've long been one of those people very interested and cautious about the source and contents of food - especially the processed stuff. You know what I mean - all those preservatives, additives and things. This used to be a view which was regarded as a little left of centre. These days, it seems to be pretty mainstream as more and more is written about the impact this can have on health. I've also long been fascinated by the cultural role of food - especially how the types of food we eat can - or not - reflect our social and political views. The issue of meat is a good example.

But on top of all that, what's been on my mind - and most people's - of late is the cost of fruit and veg. Every time I pay for a basket at my local fruit and veg store at the moment, I almost hyperventilate at the cost and how much it has gone up. So what to do? I'm currently researching other supply options. If anyone has any good sources in Melbourne, please feel free to share them in the comments section. And for a number of reasons, I'm looking to plant my first vegie garden this spring.

One place I have visited before which has great fresh produce is Kingston Farmers' Market. It's held on the 1st Saturday of each month (except January) from 8am to 12:30pm at Sir William Fry Reserve, cnr Nepean Highway and Bay Rd, Highett (Opposite Southland, Melways: 77-G11).

Stalls include breads, cheeses, meats, dips, fruit and vegies, free-range eggs, pasta and much more. Entrance is a $2 charity donation. I didn't find it especially cheap, but at least the produce was fantastic quality and straight from the grower to you. There was also a good range of organic goods.

1 comment:

katie@weheartbooks.com said...

For a few months now I've been buying my fruit and vegies from an online organic company called The Green Line - www.greenlinedelivery.com.au. The quality is great and since prices for non-organics have gone up so much, the weekly cost doesn't seem to be too bad. Box Hill market, which is in my neck of the woods, is very cheap, especially for Asian fruit and veg, but not so good for organics. We are also budding vegie gardeners, and we've tried our hands at seed-raising, having bought our seeds from The Diggers Club: www.diggers.com.au. They have a great variety of heritage fruit and veg seeds.